Tuesday, March 1, 2011

More than Broken Windows

Today a local church made headlines, but not in a good way. Newton Presbyterian Church was vandalized as its 200 year old stained glass windows were shattered. Apparently a group of people threw multiple stones at one of the stained glass windows, causing $20,000 worth of damage. At first I was outraged, I love NPC and see it not just as a church but a home. ‘How dare they do such a thing!’ I thought, ‘Good thing I wasn’t there or they’d be in trouble!’It’s reasonable right? I mean, it’s a hate crime against a church shouldn’t I be angry? Well, while they may throw stones may I remember Jesus’ words and not throw them myself (metaphorically speaking). The thing is, the windows aren’t the only things that are fragile and broken, our souls are too. Those people need compassion and love, not anger and retaliation. Instead of having thoughts of vengeance I should have thoughts of prayer, I should think ‘Lord forgive them for they are lost and know not what they do.” Instead of pushing them away they should be invited in, welcomed, loved, just as I was. I never was a religious person, but upon meeting Jesus and feeling God’s love my anger melted away and hope that can only come from the Lord replaced it. We live in a distressing world, full of hate and anger. Christians are killed in the Middle East, arrested in China, and ridiculed here in America. But instead of returning hate, I say we follow God’s message and return love. Hate can’t cure anything, but God’s love can heal our wounds.

2 comments:

ned said...

Tyler - couldn't agree more. its this balance between feeling violated and realizing its just a thing. granted a 200 year old thing, but a thing none-the-less and of no eternal value. and yeah, we could shout out our rights and demand justice and restitution, but that just leads us further away from God's heart. love is the only response, and anything else would actually be cheating ourselves.

Tay Tay said...

Thanks for your comment "ned" you're 100% right, while anger seems tempting God's love is the only true answer.