Sunday, June 16, 2013

Obey and Love

As I continue to plough through the law I have gotten to Deuteronomy. I always liked Deuteronomy the most out of the books of law, but that’s probably because it was written as a speech, not a list. One thing has struck me though as I continue reading.

I never quite relish reading through Leviticus or Numbers, actually I find it tedious. So many laws! So many laws written in one giant long list ranging from sacrificial procedures to the correct way to eliminate mildew, it’s too much sometimes. Added to that the fact that so many of these laws are abolished by Jesus’ coming and why bother reading them? Well I got my answer in Deuteronomy.

Moses is said to have written Deuteronomy and one point he stresses is that to obey the law is not out of a sense of duty, rather it is love. The law is love. That really hit me; chapter 11 is designated with the heading “Love and Obey the Lord.” You see even before Jesus obedience to God was centered on love, not just fear. Sure you need to have fear of the Lord, but who wants love or respect out of fear? No, above all God wants His people to remember how He guided them and saved them, and He wants them to love Him back.

Moses writes “Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements…” (11:1). “So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul…” (11:13). Note that, it is about love, not obedience or fear.


When you love someone, anyone really, you will do as they say because you want to. A child who loves his mother or father will obey their commands, an employee who loves his boss and his job will do as his boss says. We are God’s people, if we love God then obedience should be easy, or at least simpler. Think about your relationship with God, is your obedience centered on love or fear and guilt? Focus on loving God, fall in love with Him and His word and you will find obedience a natural step.

No comments: