Thursday, June 4, 2009

What We Need

I’ve started reading “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis, it’s a great book but that’s not my point here, my point is a section that stood out to me. Lewis wrote “God made us: invented us as a man invents an engine. A car is made to run on petrol, and it would not run properly on anything else. Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself. He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other.” That stood out to me because it is so simple and true yet we often forget it. We sin; we look to people and things to fill us up. We may not do this all the time, we may at times only be filled with the love of God, but at one time or another we lose that connection just a little bit and find happiness in something else. Note, I use the word happiness, not joy; when we fill ourselves up on something else for a moment it satisfies us, but that feeling leaves as quickly as it comes. Then what, we need to go to the next thing, and the next, and it goes on infinitely. But when we fill ourselves up with God, He is so full of everything we need that he sustains us no matter what. I used to find my happiness in baseball, I learned in a hard way that, that is not the way to go, I still like to play baseball, but I’ve realized that while anything in general may be great and be a thing we find happiness in, it’s only for the moment and it can’t be the only thing.

3 comments:

mbpbooks said...

So true. He is the ultimate satisfaction. Another great post.

Anonymous said...

T,

It seems so simple and true, yet I wonder why so many of us, me included fall into the trap of trying to fill ourself up with things other then God. Kinds of reminds me of your post from last summer about square pegs dont fill round holes.

Thanks for the thoughts T, your posts are such a blessing.

love
Dad

jared said...

hey well i just started a blog and maybe you can check out myn once in a wile oo and by the way i love your blog