Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Never Alone

Lately I’ve been reading the Book of Daniel (you know, the one with the lion’s den) and something struck me as applicable to modern day society (yeah, I didn’t say ‘something stuck out to me’). First a little background info, Daniel was taken, along with many other Israelites, to Babylon after the invasion. Now he is in the service of the King of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, as an interpreter of dreams. As a Jew Daniel sticks out like a sore thumb in Babylon, needless to say, except for a few friends, he is alone. As a follower of Christ I can feel alone too; when others choose to live their lives a certain way I find myself on occasions on the outside looking in. The thing with Daniel though is this; he trusted in God and didn’t change himself for anyone. From the get go Daniel stuck to his guns, in chapter one Daniel refuses to eat the king’s food opting for vegetables instead. Next, when Daniel is called to interpret a dream for Nebuchadnezzar instead of reveling in his new job he says to the king “No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries” 2:27. Instead of conforming to his environment, Daniel transforms it for the better. It can be tough to be on your own, when it feels like the whole world is going one way and you’re not it is never easy. But the thing is this, we’re never alone, we’ve got God on our side. As I go on to college it’s going to be tough to continue on my journey in faith, but I know that with God by my side I am not alone.

1 comment:

David C Brown said...

I remember the preacher telling me, from Daniel, "Purpose plus prayer equals prosperity" and noting on one of my school books. That was a few years ago but it stays true!