Monday, June 1, 2009

Take the First Step

I was thinking about my last blog post, and I realized there is a danger that follows my line of thinking. I said that we need faith to believe in God, and that 100% certainty isn’t required. People could take this in two ways, either saying “Oh, just because I can’t physically or logically prove to somebody that God exists (like in an experiment), that isn’t going to stop me from having faith.” The bad approach is to say “Oh, I don’t know whether or not there is a God, but I’m going to have faith!” As I said in my last post, people peppered me with questions and asked me to “prove it” when I found that I couldn’t physically prove anything I lost my step, but then I was reminded that faith doesn’t need proof, it’s actually belief in the absence of proof. The best picture of faith I can think of is from “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” when Indiana is standing at the edge of the cliff staring at the “invisible” bridge. In the book it says that there is a walkway across the cliff, but Indy can’t see it from hi point of view, he then takes a deep breath and steps onto the bridge. Faith is like that, I can’t see God, but I have my Bible, my pastor, my friends and family, and they point me to God. I took the step four years ago and I found that there’s way more than thin air, I’m still taking steps now with the help of those around me. Faith is a hard thing to have, some days it feels like God is right by my side, others I wonder where He went, and boy am I glad Jesus said all we need is a mustard seed. While a mustard seed may be small it’s enough to take the first step.

No comments: