Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Now that I have free time I can write. I just have to say, while not playing baseball for half a year is horrible, not writing for a week has been near Yesterday was Father’s day so I was doing some thinking. Being a father seems like a tough job. Everyday my dad gets up early and goes to work, then he comes home and sometimes cooks dinner, plays catch/ drills with me, listens to how everyone’s day was, talks with me about how I’m doing, works late into the night and takes the dogs out. That’s a lot and I want to say “Dad, thank you!” My pastor was talking about how God is like a father to us, and I am blessed with a very good father but some aren’t and how that taints the fatherly image. I was once asked what I picture God like, and while some people said something between a wizard and sci-fi type person, I said a cross between my dad and grandfather, because God is very kind, but also very firm. God is like that, He loves us immensely more than we could imagine. It’s amazing how much He loves us but like I said He can also be firm. Proverbs tells parents to discipline their children because it’s good for them (that’s a paraphrase) what parent could be called good if they don’t discipline their child. Nowadays people get the idea of parents as their best friends. While it’s good to be friends with your parents, it’s bad to see them as only that, my dad is my father; I do my best to do what he says. It’s the same with God, God is our friend but He’s also God, He is an all powerful, mighty well, God, I don’t capitalize every pronoun for just for fun, there is a reason. It’s like the fear of the Lord thing, yes God loves us, yes He is and wants to be our friend but we can’t just leave it there. Anyway those are my thoughts and here is a list of great men/ fathers of the Bible: Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Samuel, David, Elisha, Elijah, Job, Joseph, Paul, John, and Peter.

No comments: