Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Red Sox Resolutions (Not Another Sports Post)

I’ve been thinking about the Red Sox and how I can speak for pretty much all of New England, we’re mad at Theo Epstein for his lousy offseason moves. Then I had a thought, is the fact that the Red Sox stink really something to get mad over, is it really worth the time and energy to care more about them than more important issues in the world today. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about how I view the Red Sox and how I view God and it is often the case that the Sox get more time, energy, and thought than God does, and that’s wrong. I have a devotional book of short snippets from C.S. Lewis books that are usually clumped into sections, well the past few days have been about the Second Coming of Jesus. What I’ve been thinking about is this, if Jesus were to come back write now, let’s say in the middle of the sentence (I can’t take full credit for the sentence, a special thanks to C.S. Lewis), would I be ready? I remember once my home was robbed while I was away, nothing serious just a few lost things and obvious clues left behind from the thief. But I always think “Gosh if I had known I would have done….”, Jesus says the same thing “But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would have not let his house be broken in to . You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him.” Luke 12: 39-40. If Jesus were to come back now and today was my last day on earth would I be ready? How would I react? How did I live my life? Did I live it wastefully, spending all my time on accumulating possessions and worrying about who won the game last night, or did I live it in service of God. I do not mean to detract from watching professional sports (odds are I’m watching the Sox and Celtics tonight), but when the time comes that watching the game becomes more important than who you’re watching it with, there is something amiss. Jesus could come any moment, so instead of wasting time worrying about things that don’t matter the next day, I should be worrying as to whether I would look back and be proud of the life I lead for my Lord.

No comments: