Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hidden Blessings

Ever have one of those terrible days that you later find out were really a blessing? I just had one last Saturday during a baseball game. I play in a fall recreational league and in the first game of the season I was playing shortstop, not my usual position but I can hold my own. The first ball hit to me was pretty routine, would have been a one hopper into the glove and easily thrown to first for the out. Instead the ball hit a pebble or divot in the field because it shot up and hit me right above my eye. I finished the inning but left and went to the emergency room only to find I had a mild concussion (already counted on that) and a sinus fracture that will leave me out of baseball for a month. This was a terrible experience but here are a few hidden blessings, first the fracture was on my eyebrow, a few centimeters lower and there goes my sight in my right eye and my chances of playing baseball. Next because it hit the sinus bone which is really a sort of cavity there was minimal disturbance to the brain. Also there was no bleeding, which is uncommon, which means not health complications, and lastly I do not need surgery. It’s events like this that make me stand in awe and say “Wow, God must have been watching out for me!” While often things don’t always go our way and the ball easily could have hit my eye, it’s just one of those many blessings that we often look over in our daily lives.

No comments: