Monday, January 24, 2011

Not By Man's Understanding

I’m changing it up a bit and writing about the New Testament for this post. I was sitting in church and the message my pastor gave really struck me as interesting. He was talking about faith and knowledge (yeah, another faith post). Anyway we were reading 1 Corinthians 2:1-16 but the verse that got my attention was verse 5 “so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.” One thing I find that many people have trouble with is the idea of faith. Often times people come up to me and question me, thinking that they can “prove” that God does not exist. While I pretty much always answer them I cannot help but find that there is a wall between us in our understanding. You see, there is nothing I can do to “prove” that God exists, no man’s understanding can reveal an ounce of God’s wisdom. Yet at the same time God reveal’s his wisdom to us in specific ways. To me it was through books, I (when I have time) am an avid reader and God gave me books written by those before me to guide me. For others it might be nature, or even sports. Basically Paul’s point and mine is that God is not revealed to us in man-made things, more often than not He is concealed that way. Instead God’s wisdom and our faith is given to us by God at the right time. Some may say that this is unfair, well I suppose it is; we don’t like the thought of not knowing something, we all want assurance. But unfortunately, as is the case in life, we can’t know everything, instead we need faith. Faith is not some mystical smoke screen surrounding us, it is a strength and commitment to what we believe. While we can never be sure in God we can be strong in Him and fortunately in believing we are given strength to build up our faith. In the end of any discussion I always end up saying that some day, it could be tomorrow or in twenty years, God will reveal Himself to you and when it happens you will recognize it and know. But, until then I can do nothing of service to you.

No comments: