Wednesday, January 12, 2011

True Joy

Now for the third and, I believe, final post in this miniseries on Jeremiah. So the question that may be asked and I have asked myself is why am I writing about this? God’s judgment is not a very popular topic of conversation but I feel that I can conclude my posts with this. My main point is that a relationship with God is not a given, it can be damaged or even lost and just like our relationships with other people it is fragile. Relationships are based on trust, whether you are friends, dating, or married, if you can’t trust the other person the relationship ends there. It’s the same with God, we need to trust God and He needs to trust that we won’t leave Him. A lot of people seem to think that good deeds get you to Heaven or that if you walk away from God you can lose your salvation but that is not true! Jesus died on the cross to save us, He doesn’t need to die again. What we can lose is our relationship with God, when you walk away the distance grows and soon you lose sight of who and where you are. I think that’s what Jeremiah’s point is, it’s a wakeup call from God, it’s His way of saying “Hey I won’t forget or leave you, but you can and you are!” Like I wrote earlier the Bible is a love letter from God, it’s His revelation to man about His love and it presents us with a choice: choose a life with God full of honesty and loyalty or continue to run after things that don’t last. If you desire happiness and a quick fix choose the latter, but if you want joy that lasts, joy that supersedes the pains of life choose the first. That is Jeremiah’s message.

No comments: