Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sure, God Plays Dice

Here are some more thoughts on the whole “love, faith, and hope” triangle from 1 Corinthians 13. Something hit me the other day that was probably pretty obvious to some, but new to me. That or I just never thought of it before. Anyways, I digress. As I was walking my dog I thought that there is something love, hope, and faith all have in common. They all involve risk. To have faith risks being wrong, to have hope risks being let down, and to love risks both loss and being unloved. Now, why, out of these is love the greatest? Well, because love is hard. It is hard to love when you know that you’re taking a big risk. C.S. Lewis wrote something along the lines of this, that when you put yourself out there, even for an animal, you risk being hurt. There are times when I have lost those I loved; I remember getting to know and love my great uncle and making a strong effort to really know him, but unfortunately he died after having a stroke. So why then do I put myself out there, why risk being hurt? Well, what happens if you don’t? Could you imagine a life where you never took a chance to show love or kindness to anyone out of fear they would leave you? You have to take a chance! Imagine the chance God takes on us. He gives us free will to do whatever we want and looking at my life I know I hurt Him more than I should. The thing about love is that it is a choice, and that, I think, is why Paul thinks it is so important. No matter what you believe you always have faith, and hope is fundamental, there is no one who is truly hopeless. Yet love is a choice that has to be made. You can either go out into the world and take a risk by showing love to those around you or retreat inside your shell. God took a huge risk in loving us, and to gratify the risk He took by loving Him, we must learn to love each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tyler

A great post and it was great you used your relationship with Uncle Carmine as an example.

love
Dad