Monday, April 18, 2011

Faith Put To The Test

I was reading the Psalms the other day and came across a verse that I feel describes how I am feeling lately. The verse is Psalm 115:1 “Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory because of your love and faithfulness.” With what has happened lately with baseball all I can say is “God to you be the glory.” Let’s revisit the scenario in detail: there was a lot standing up against me, for one the last time I tried out was two years ago when I was cut. Second around December an elbow injury blew up putting a stop on my baseball and weight training. Third a few weeks before tryouts a back spasm grew into a lumbar strain (don’t ask) preventing me from performing the most basic of tasks. Yet through all that here I am with a healthy elbow (yet weak arm) and nearly-painless back yet most importantly a varsity letter and the lucky number 13 on my back. So to whom do I owe thanks? Not to myself, heck no, I almost gave up. Tay Tay get’s no credit here, he almost gave up (yes I am referring to myself in the third person), it was from God I got my strength and was able to keep on going. Never satisfied with giving up I sucked in my pride, knelt down on my knees, and begged God for an answer. “Why?” I asked, “Why do I continue to do this?” To which God gave me the strength to keep on going. You see it’s not just about baseball; it’s not just about the varsity letter or my uniform. It’s about God making me eat my words a bit and learn about humility. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Well God had me prove it, and ask for help in doing so. Now I know that no matter the odds (being a calculus person, not a statistics person I don’t care for odds much anyways) I can accomplish anything. It’s not about baseball, it’s about faith and not giving up and now I know that with Christ I can do all things.

No comments: