Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pure Joy. Really?


As I continue reading through the New Testament, I have just started reading through James. James has been one of my all-time favorite books of the Bible, along with Romans and Psalms it’s like Ted Williams, Manny Ramirez, and Hank Aaron being on the same baseball team. I guess you could say I’m going through a it of an identity crisis, or if you want to be more optimistic you can say I’m finding myself. The past three years have been anything but easy, and as I keep growing older and learning more about myself and the world around me, things can get a little crazy. That’s why, after reading James 1:2, I looked up and let out a “You, you’re good!” that Robert Deniro would be proud of. James 1:2 plainly says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds.” Really, pure joy? I have felt many emotions over the past few years, but rarely has pure joy been one of them. I’m not talking about “today was a good day” feelings, I’m talking about hitting a walk-off homer to win a playoff game, getting your dream job, meting the love of your life, knowing that everything is completely 100% all right. When I first became a Christian I had no idea what I was getting into. I didn’t know of the challenges I would face, the rejection I would endure, and the unbelievable things I would accomplish. Here I am, still standing (by a miracle) after a tough three years. Who am I to question whether or not I will go anywhere but up in my life? God has been there for me, and will continue to be there when I need Him. Pure joy? It’s tough to be truly happy and grateful for the obstacles that block our way, but we need to trust that God will be there for us and deliver us. For trials lead to perseverance, and perseverance leads to faith. It’s easy to believe in something when everything is going well, but true faith comes out in the darkest moments of our lives when we literally have nothing to hang on to. No matter what happens in my life, I won’t lose my faith in God’s goodness. I may stray from His path and guidance, but I haven’t stopped believing, and I know that I never will. Maybe one day I will have the ability to look back and pray “Thank you for what happened back then, it made me a better person and drew me closer to You.”

No comments: