Sunday, August 5, 2012

Awesome Job


I can’t believe it’s already August, shouldn’t we have had more of a warning? Currently I am running a Study Hall for the Passport program at Holy Cross. I’m not sure if I ever really said what I’m doing, so I’ll say it now. Passport is a program for incoming freshmen that might not have had the chances that other kids from more resourceful or wealthy schools. At first I wasn’t originally picked for this job, but I managed to be chosen due to the simple fact that the chosen student couldn’t work. Anyway, that’s not what this post is about; this post is about something I’ve learned while here. For a while I wondered how I could meld my need for making money and living for God. It’s tough to do; making a living is not easy and to put the constraint of more Holy work is a hefty burden. But here, things are different. I’ve finally found a way to earn something, yet serve God. Some people ask me if  I want to be a teacher, I prefer to be a journalist but I’m not opposed to mentoring on the side. Many people look at me and see a white kid from a small farm town, and so they assume that I don’t know how any of these kids feel. A good deal of these kids feel lost, as if no one cares, granted some come from well-off families but there are a few from poorer families. Many of these kids have been told they aren’t worth what other kids are, that they can’t rise up and achieve something. I felt the same way before I became a Christian. I was told I was worthless, stupid, un-athletic, and useless. It wasn’t fair, I hated my life and for a pretty good reason. But then God showed me what it means to be loved, what it means to be worth something. That’s why I’m especially happy to have this job (as if anyone really cares). It’s so I can show that same love that God showed me to people who really need it. These are smart kids and they are in a position to do great things with their lives, they just need someone to believe in them. 

No comments: