Thursday, February 2, 2012

He Never Stops


The thing about the Bible that I really love is every time I read it I can a completely new look at each passage. Earlier this afternoon I was reading Luke 15, which has the parables of the lost sheep, coin, and the prodigal son. I used to wonder whether it was ever possible to get out of God’s grace; I would think about whether or not I could do something so as to be lost again. You see, before I became a believer I was lost, I was not in God’s grace and so I counted myself lost in the world. However, things changed dramatically when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior; I was found by God. I then worried that I would do something to “screw it up,” that I would trip up and God wouldn’t forgive me, that I would be once again lost. After reading Luke 15 I don’t think this is the case. When God loses one of His children He drops everything He is doing and runs out and pulls Him back. God finds us. Once we are found I don’t think it is possible to be lost again. Now, there is a distinction that must be made here. Someone could easily say “Oh what a relief, now I can do anything I want and not be ‘lost.’” I would argue that this stance is of one who has never been “found.” My knowledge is limited, but there is one thing I do know. I know that after getting a glimpse of life with God I would never go back to the way things were. Sure I may trip or stumble as I continue forward, but I will never stray so far as to be fully lost. I don’t think it is ever possible to be out of God’s grace and love. While that may be hard to believe, while it seems that based on our relationships with other people here on earth that love is something on condition it is not that way with God. God’s love is unconditional; it is the kind of love that causes Him to leave His whole flock and search for that one lost sheep no matter how long it may take. People may give up on you but God never will, it is never possible to be truly lost from His grace.

No comments: