Friday, July 6, 2012

Dive into the Word


As I continue my summer challenge and dive into God’s word I’ve noticed a theme throughout Paul’s letters. Paul’s letters are somewhat similar in content, although the context each one was written in differs. One theme though is testing and challenging what we hear. At the time of the early church there were many theories and doctrines thrown around. Many people came in God’s name and told stories, trying to spread them around as Gospel. Countless times throughout his letters, Paul warns against listening to these men, telling us to test each spirit and doctrine against the word of God. While Gnostic Gospels are out of fashion nowadays, we are still in a similar situation. Many people claim to be “spiritual” but not religious, many claim to be preaching the word while actually preaching lies, many Christians even are accepting other doctrines and religions as truth. Someone blatantly from the devil is quite harmless, it is hard to fall for an obvious trap. No, the most dangerous people are those who claim to be one with Christ yet do everything they can to be against Him. Many people out there will challenge your faith, not just with outright arguments, but with deceptive teachings. I’ve noticed this in my own life, and it’s amazing to see it so much in Paul’s letters. That’s why it’s so important to read the word for yourself. I don’t mean you need to be a Bible theology expert, heck I’m not even that. But if you never know what the Bible says then you are defenseless against the teachings of others. Even I may be guilty of such a crime, here I am reading the Bible and writing my INTERPRETATION. That’s not the written word, it’s just my personal thought on it. Even a chapter a day means something, God’s word is the most important and sacred gift we are given, it should be treated as such.

No comments: