Monday, September 3, 2012

Missed Opportunities?


While living in college you see a great deal of things going on around you. There are many times where I feel a sense of loneliness because I do not partake in everything that my friends do. There are times that I feel a sense of resentment towards myself for always going the “straight and narrow” instead of “living it up” like everyone else. Have you ever heard the phrase “the grass is greener on the other side?” (of course you have, it’s one of those overused cliché’s). Well, like many overused expressions, it is true. In the Bible God calls us to set ourselves apart from the world; He calls us to be different from the mainstream life that surrounds us. There are a few verses that illustrate my point: the obvious choice is Matthew 5:13-16 where Jesus calls us the “salt of the earth” but another good one comes from 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Therefore my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” The straight and narrow road can be a lonely one, but is any other path really worth it? It all boils down to the difference between pleasure and joy. Sure pushing the little guy around makes you feel good, or cheating on the test to get a good grade helps you out, but does it really satisfy you? Does doing bad (for the lack of a better word) really fill you up, or is it more like a cookie that tides you over but never actually fills you up? It is tough to do the right thing, but I firmly believe that it is worth it. To forgo all the options around us to live a godly life means sacrificing a lot of missed opportunities but the alternative (to live sinfully and forgo a life with God) is unbearable and unfulfilling. I used to live a life without God, when He pulled me from the gutter I was eternally grateful. Then the devil took my faith and replaced it with doubt, since then I can’t imagine what it would be like to sink down to the depths of a godless life. Sure In resent my compulsion to always do the right thing, sure I miss out on a lot. One thing I do have though is the ability to go to bed every night and know that I gave it my best every day.

2 comments:

Clara said...

Stand strong! There is always a lot going on around us- college or not- that seems like fun/a good idea/worth it now. And there often does seem to be tangible rewards for people who pursue those, but you are right, it's not worth it in the end because we are all here for the long haul (eternity).

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." (Matthew 6:19-20)

Good luck- you've got more support than any of us can fathom.

Unknown said...

T

you are so right about the struggle and even the resentment we feel when we battle against the desires we have, but as you said there is a huge difference between pleasure and joy.

love dad