Friday, September 7, 2012

True Love


It seems that every book, movie, or teen drama puts an emphasis on feeling when it comes to love. They all focus on that “magical moment” or whatever (just me being unsentimental). While I don’t know a whole lot about that, I do know something about love from the Bible. I’m reading 1 John right now; John wrote three letters that are recorded in the Bible, they are actually really cool (and very short) so when you get a chance you should check them out. 1 John 3:16 (ironic right, because John 3:16 is one of the most famous verses in the Bible) “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.” That’s it, that is a basic definition of what love really is. When you love someone (whether it be a family member, spouse, or friend) you are willing to put him before yourself. Jesus didn’t have to die on the cross for us, but He did. He did because He loves us, and so we are called to love others. It’s not just about being nice to someone, or giving out compliments. It is so much more than that; it’s about putting others first instead of focusing on yourself. I’m not perfect; there have been many times when I have said, “You know, who is looking out for me? I need to take care of myself first.” But in the end, what is the most fulfilling life? Sure you might not end up having the easiest life, but looking back you will know you were able to take the love God gave you and share it with others. Every year my family watches It’s A Wonderful Life. I always liked George Bailey, and identified with him too. He spends his whole life helping out others and ends up giving up his dreams. But in the end he realizes what an amazing impact he had on those around him, and found peace in that.

No comments: