Sunday, April 14, 2013

Surrender it all?


Often in “church speak” you hear of the idea of dying on the cross ourselves along with Jesus. We are to die every day, as Paul says, in order to achieve a life with God. I never really understood that, I mean isn’t being saved a one-and-done thing? That’s what I thought, I thought it was as simple as saying “yes” to God and that was where my effort ended. God has shown me different though, every day I need to hand my life over to Him. I need to make a conscious effort every moment, it’s not just saying I believe once.

So God, I give you my baseball skills, my writing ability, my grades, my relationships…  Everything I have right now at this moment I surrender to God, and I pray that later today I will surrender it again, and tomorrow, and the next day. That’s what this life is about, it’s about putting God first and striving to Him every moment. It sounds hard, but I think the hardest part is being consistent about it. Remembering to dedicate what we have when we are on top, and down low. That’s the tough part, remembering who we are and why we are here.

So try it, try to surrender to God today. Give over everything you have to Him and let Him take control. He knows where you are going, surely He will not lead you astray. I’m a  man of action, I like to do everything myself so this can be especially hard for me. But right now I surrender it all to God, and I will die every day as Paul commands us.

No comments: