Wednesday, September 3, 2008

He's Got a Plan for You

In the earlier post “The Power of Prayer” I said God works not for our own pleasure but for our own good. I’ll elaborate a little. God does care about us; there is no doubt and never a doubt about that. But in caring for us He lays out a plan for us. I am reading the book Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper. It is a very interesting book, and I encourage you to read it, but only if you can handle it and your no afraid of getting your boat rocked. It makes me wonder if I am wasting my life. I know I have my whole life ahead of me (at least I think I do), but what am I to do with it? How can we live a life that God wants? I think the most basic fundamental and hardest thing to do is to live a life that fully glorifies God at all times. It’s simple, yet hard to do. Why is it hard? Because we often forget to carry it out. I will admit it when I woke up I don’t think I was thinking how I can glorify God over the course of the day. But it gets somewhat simpler. If we wake up and view each day as a gift, each choice as affecting our life then I think we can manage it. The Bible says “Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to glorify God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31. You may be thinking ‘How the heck can I do that? How can I glorify God by eating and drinking?’ And I thought the same thing. To understand that verse you’ve got to know what it means to glorify God. To glorify God is to make Him as much a part of our life as breathing is. How can we manage that? Think about it when you wake up tomorrow, when you eat breakfast, when you go to school or work. If we look at each day as a gift, as a new creation, as a new adventure that only God knows the end of I think we can manage it. If we look at our work as a job given to us, at our coworkers as people we can love as Jesus did, people to share the love of Christ I think we can do it. If we look at each day and ask ourselves “What can I do for the kingdom of God today?” One thing I learned in Mississippi was to ask “What can I do?” “What do you need me for?” “How can I help?” If we can let ourselves be used for His glory, if we can let ourselves be loved and love others. If we can glorify Him I think we can do it. Will it always be easy? No. Will it give us the satisfying sense of joy one finds when he is truly living a life purposeful life for God? Yes. That is what God works for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

T Bone

Glad to see that the start of school has not kept you away from your message. Thanks for the reminder to put God first in my life today, and every day
love Dad