Friday, September 12, 2008

I Never Saw This Coming

What did I learn? I’ve written a lot about my mission trip, saying phrases like “I learned that in Mississippi”. But I was recently asked by my church to share my experience during this Sunday’s "reunion lunch", and that made me think about what I learned. Well I know I learned a lot, but I only get five minutes so what can I say. I learned many things, but the most important thing I learned is how God operates. God does not operate on our time, and here’s how I learned that. Three years ago in 2005 hurricane Katrina hit the southeast, and that I believe is where this whole story started. Three years ago I was sitting in my history class room listening to someone from the class talk about how their church went down south to help out in New Orleans (or as they say, it sounds like ‘nawlens’). Well I thought “Gee I’d like to go down and help people, but it would never happen”, but little did I know a different kind of storm was brewing, the “storm surge” of the Holy Spirit in my heart. Three years ago I did not see myself roofing a house, writing a blog, or even speaking in front of my church, that I think is what I learned, and it continues to amaze me, it’s how God can work in our lives. God does an amazing thing- He makes the unlikely likely. He takes a situation and turns it to His plan for us, and when we look back we say “Wow I never saw myself here”. When we take God’s hand and walk with Him He takes us to amazing places. He takes an ordinary man and has him do extraordinary things.

No comments: