Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Finally Figured It Out

My earlier post was about Dutch, this one is about baseball. A long time ago as a young kid I played baseball and gave it up, sure I would never return to the game again (cue dramatic music). A while ago I woke up and decided that I wanted to play baseball and thus my journey began. I never knew why God wanted me to play baseball or even what position, all I thought was that He wanted me to be good, really good. It sadly turned out that I was not really good, while this year I was pretty good (.381 avg., 2 HR 3 2B, 7RBI in 10 games), but as I was hitting in the batting cage today facing the prospect of trying out for a more competitive team next year and the hopes of college baseball in the near future I thought to myself why am I doing this? Will it matter in forty years if I made a college team and was a star, especially since it would take a lot of work, but I thought what if I worked out a ton and hit at the cage and put the setting on the machine all the way up to 80mph and hit halfway down the tunnel so it’s really like 90mph, then I…, in the end is it worth the effort? I decided today that it is not, I love to play baseball and will continue until my limitations, well, limit me. Then what was the point of playing!? I figured this out, I prayed earnestly to become a better baseball player and I am one, I’m actually pretty good, but God did not make me a better player, He wasn’t at bat when I hit my homeruns, what He did was give me the strength and perseverance to keep trying, to keep working. When everyone said I would fail God told me I would succeed, He lifted me up when I was down and that was what really made me a better player, how else could I hit for an hour (700 swings) twice a week for a month? It is this perseverance that God gave me, this “never give up” attitude that will serve me well later in life when I face greater troubles. That, I believe, is why God gave me the desire to play baseball, to learn to persevere, and hold on and never give up.

No comments: