Monday, March 4, 2013

History Channel's "The Bible"


The History Channel ran the first part of their series on the Bible, and I have to admit something: I went in expecting it to be bad. So many shows on the Bible always disappoint me; they either get a crucial aspect wrong or they try to explain away the miraculous aspect. While this program did leave out some stuff (Jacob and Esau, Joseph…) and it seemed to add a great deal of violence, I found it to be satisfactory, which is saying something.

One thing I really liked is that it portrayed Abraham and Moses’ struggles with faith very well. I think that ties in very well with my own series on “what is God telling us about Him?” Before God had called Abraham He was relatively unknown; there was no formal religion or set of rules Abraham really was on his own. Despite that he trusted God and put everything he had into trusting Him. It was so remarkable to watch, to see Abraham constantly remind his family to trust in God even though he may have lost some faith himself.

It reminds me of the sermon I heard a week ago on how Abraham trusted in God no matter what, and that God had brought him so far He wouldn’t leave him standing alone in the desert. Sometimes we think that because the Bible is 3,000 years old that it doesn’t matter anymore, sometimes we think the story ended with Revelation and will pick up whenever the world ends.

When we think that way though we forget that this story is ongoing; that you and I are part of God’s grand plan to bring His people back to Him. The story is not over, a new page is written every day! It started thousands of years ago with the call of Abraham and it kept on going right to this very moment as you read these words. I guess that is what I liked about the portrayal, not just the accuracy but that it did a great job of showing faith in action.

No one ever said this life would be peaceful or easy. I have a few good reasons to complain about the hand I’ve been dealt, yet here I sit saved by God’s grace and completely overwhelmed by His love. It really is amazing to think about it in light of what has been going on in my own life: God is leading me now, and He is just the same as when He lead Abraham and Moses, Joshua, King David… and He is leading you too.

Unfortunately I won’t really be able to watch at school, but at least I got to see part one and was reminded once again of what my faith means and how important it is.

No comments: