Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Be Yourself


Here’s another lesson learned from Tattoos on the Heart and also from life. I have to admit, lately I’ve been feeling drained. I haven’t been as close to God as I once was and the effect has not been very good on me. I went to a boxing class the other day and this morning had a flashback to last year in Belize when I “boxed” with a bunch of little kids in the city. They had a blast, throwing punches at me, jumping on my back putting me in a headlock, it was the most fun I could ever have in 100-degree weather. Then it hit me, I know what I love to do, so why am I going into college not following the heart God put in me, but instead following expectations of the world? What I love is to write (obviously), I like law and might go to law school, and I love working with kids. What I am going into college expecting to take are “practical courses.” Then I realized something, I’ve got one life to live here on earth and a few gifts given to me by God, it is my job to find out what they are and to use them for His glory. For some people one path may be right, but it isn’t right for me, I know what God gave me a passion for, what’s wrong with simply following it? What am I waiting for, job security, success? Well success isn’t always measured in results; often it can be measured in joy and how close I am to God. If what brings me to God is reading books, studying law, and speaking Italian then I better get a move on and do those things. For so long we try to be something we’re not, when all God ever made us to be was ourselves.

No comments: