Thursday, July 14, 2011

See God in All Things


I was talking with my youth pastor today and aside from the usual “how are you, what are you up to…” we also talked a great deal about faith and what it means to me. To me, faith used to be a sort of addition to my life, while I was very strong in my faith I never fully grasped that it really is a journey. What is the point of a journey, to go somewhere of course. While in Oregon I got some time off to myself to think about where I am going, and like many people I suppose, I wasn’t too thrilled. If there’s one thing I’ve learned (and I’ve learned many things) in the past month it’s that the whole point of our time here is to discover God, find a way to live for Him in a meaningful way, and eventually become more like Him. One thing I’ve found is that I lack His ability to love others. A Jesuit saying is that we must “see God in all things” honestly, I haven’t been doing a good job at that. For whatever reason I’ve let pride, insecurity… seep into my heart, keeping me far from God. If life is a journey in which we must become more like God, then loving like Him is a good place to start. Jesus said there is no credit in loving those who love you back, boy, was He right, and boy, is it hard. From your best friend to your worst enemy we should love everyone. It’s hard, but there is a simple answer, God loves us. I have a better chance of playing LF for the Boston Red Sox than deserving God’s love. If I can’t muster up the energy in my heart than may that one fact ring true. I was forgiven and loved, picked up from the dirt. Now it’s my turn to show that love to those around me. Seeing God in all things, plain and simple.

No comments: