Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reflections

One week until I embark on a new journey, college life at Holy Cross. As I sat in my last service at Newton Presbyterian Church I could not help but reflect on the last seven years of my Christian life, July of 2005 being the year I decided to give my life to Jesus. There are many who “don’t get it” with me, some more who made fun of me, either in public or private. To them I have nothing to say other than that it is through my faith I found my life. God saved my life, literally He did, I have no idea where I would be now, but I certainly wouldn’t be typing at this computer preparing to go to Holy Cross if God didn’t intervene. While the theologic (my new word) of faith is much more complicated than that, there is my basic reasoning, God took a selfish, angry, and hopeless boy and miraculously turned him into the man I am today. I have my faults, doubts, and blemishes. But I am not lacking hope, faith, joy, or love. I have my fears for the future; fears about college debts, what I’m going to do, whether to have a family, the trials that come with having a family…. I finally realized I will grow up and become an adult; my question is what kind of an adult? I could only hope to be like my own father, I mean he did okay with me didn’t he? One reason though I needn’t have fear is this. A lot has happened to me over the course of my life, in some instances it feels like I’ve been to hell and back, yet one constant remains, that is God. No matter what happens to me, whether I become rich or poor, married or alone, successful or a tremendous failure, I know God will be right by my side giving me strength for ever challenge or ordeal. No matter what life or the devil throws at me I know God is there, never leaving me completely on my own. God says to Joshua before he leads the Israelites out of the desert “be strong and courageous for I am with you” or something to the effect. I know firsthand that this is true, there is nothing to fear for I know God has taken me out of the dust and brought me life and will continue to lead me wherever I go.

No comments: