Wednesday, August 3, 2011

This Could Only Happen To Me


So here’s my first random post in quite some time, then again this a random blog so the name demands it. I was visiting a friend in Boston the other day and took the T in. I always loved taking the T because you see the most interesting people you’d ever meet; some people bring books to read but I like to stay alert. Anyway, I was waiting for the outbound train to go home and there was a man playing the guitar and singing. A homeless (I presume) man sat down next to me and told me that the man needed to tune his guitar. We soon got to talking and had a nice conversation while I waited for my train. It turned out that he was on the same train so I walked down the car to where he was sitting and started talking to him. You won’t believe this, he told me “No, I don’t do that, this day is closed” and wouldn’t talk to me. On one hand I got blown off by a homeless guy, on the other I now have yet another interesting story to add to my collection. Then I had another thought, I was thinking about that book Tattoos on the Heart and the Jesuit saying of “seeing God in all things” and that very often (as a man in the book said) God is the person right in front of you. I could have blown that man off, instead I chose to listen, I saw God in him.  Jesus said that whenever you do something for the homeless, those in prison, or widows you do it for him, so I was glad that I had an opportunity to show one person that they are cared for. Still, I wish I didn’t get blown off.

No comments: