Thursday, October 27, 2011

So Great is His Unfailing Love

Well I couldn’t stay away from the blog forever. Honestly though I’ve been going through a lot the past two weeks and sometimes you just feel wrung out. It’s like I was at the end of my rope and didn’t really have the strength to tie a knot and hold on. That changed last night though. It is easy to forget about God, so much can happen in our lives that a few days that you forget to pray can really add up. That happened to me. I forgot where God was in my life, I lost sight of Him and when life began to crash down around me I suddenly realized the sad fact, I was alone. As I said, that changed last night. A good friend invited me to a prayer group they regularly attend, and the passage we read couldn’t have been more fitting. It’s long so I’ll spare you by not writing it out, but it came from Lamentations chapter 3. Lamentations is basically Job on steroids, all jokes aside it was written by a man who reflecting on Jerusalem’s destruction by the Babylonian empire. Imagine that, watching your home city completely trashed by ruthless soldiers, and there is nothing you can do about it. A few verses stuck out to me, the first 20 verses reflect on immense pain and loneliness but then verses 21-22 hit you, “Yet I call to mind and therefore have hope: because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.” Then there is verse 32 “Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love.” A lot of bad things have happened in my life, not just recently, over the past two years. I can sit and moan, I can complain and whine, I can even give up. Here’s the thing though, we can’t lose hope, God will always be there to deliver us, sometimes in surprising ways. I wanted Him to appear in a storm cloud and tell me why He allowed pain in my life, instead He spoke quietly through a friend who by chance invited me to a prayer meeting I desperately needed. All I can say is “Thank you God, for you are so good as to never forget me or leave me. Though I leave you, you still love me. Such is true and unconditional love, something I need to learn to accept and put into practice in my own life.” Sometimes I feel that I should be taking my own advice, well before that I should take advice from the main source, God. It doesn’t matter what I go through, how weak I am, or how much I lose. I can lose everything that I ever loved but I will never lose God, and that is one thing that I can hold onto every day of my life.

No comments: