Monday, May 21, 2012

Disagreements in Boston


Here’s a story for the books. I was waiting for my train at a T stop in Boston earlier today when I was accosted by a young man. H asked me if I had a moment and then pulled out a Bible and began talking with me. Initially I was happy ‘Good for this guy’ I thought, but things quickly went downhill from there. He began talking some new theology about the “mother and father God” how God is not simply a trinity, but there are two gods, the mother and father. I knew I couldn’t let this slide, so I asked for his Bible telling him I too am a “praying man” and quickly pointed out how he was wrong, how there is only ONE true God. He got mad at me, and let’s just say I made a dramatic exit onto my train. I realized, while on the train, that there are many like this man who try to pervert the Gospel to suit their own purposes. Jesus said that many would come in His name yet speak lies and not the truth. Indeed the devil is crafty in his ability to take seemingly godly men and twist the Bible to something else. I told the man that I would not let the devil use people like him to shake my faith and that I believe in the true God that sent His son for us (hey I said it was a dramatic finish). I don’t tell this story to point out how I did a “good thing.” No instead I credit God who gave me the knowledge of His word, and spoke through me to call out evil when I saw it (granted I could have put it a little nicer). Watch out there, on the streets there are many “street preachers,” the majority of which I am not very fond. Many try to come in sheep’s clothing, yet are really trying to pervert God’s word to trick those who listen. That’s why knowing what the Bible says is important. This man tried to show me scripture, but thanks to my knowledge I proved him wrong with not only the same scripture he used, but a few other references as well. Dogmas are well and good if they help us understand God’s word, but they can get in the way too. Over the summer try to dig into God’s word daily, look for His answers to our questions instead of asking around. You’ll be surprised by the clarity, practicality, and truth in the words you read.

No comments: