Saturday, November 14, 2009

Good Italian Recipe

Here’s a great Italian recipe I just made for dinner. I found it in one of my cookbooks it’s one of those “old world” pasta dishes called “Paglio e Fieno” which translates to straw and hay. It’s very easy to make and also really tasty.

Ingredients: 1 lb. Egg noodles, 1 cup of light cream, 1 cup of frozen peas thawed, ¼ of pancetta or bacon, Parmigiano cheese, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of butter.

How to make it: Fill a pot with water, some oil, and salt and heat to a boil. While waiting for it to boil warm cream (don’t boil) in a saucepan – this shouldn’t take all that long. After the cream is warmed melt the butter in a large frying pan, add pancetta and cook until crisp. (Here the recipe says to drain the fat but that’s where the flavor comes so don’t). When the pancetta is done add the cream and peas and heat on medium, add a few generous spoonfuls of cheese and a good amount of cracked pepper. Heats the sauces on medium until it thickens slightly and then keeps warm. When the water boils add the egg noodles and cook, drain and add to sauce stirring them in until covered. Serve and enjoy. Buon Appetito.

A side note, I made this for my uncle and he said that his dad (my grandfather) would make this with fettuccine, and use half spinach and half plain it sounded good so next time I make this I’ll do that and tell you what I think. Also I’m thinking about making my own fresh pasta so I’ll blog about that.

No comments: