Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hot Stove

So, now that the season is over it is time to fire up the hot stove. I know every single prediction I have made on this blog (if anyone can point one out that was right, please make my day) here are my predictions.

Number 1: Last year was a HUGE disappointment, we did nothing to seriously better the team, this year will be different and I expect a lot of BIG names to be thrown around.

Number 2: The first/third/DH position has been a weak point in the sense that it wasn’t defined. I don’t want it to happen but I think Mike Lowell’s name will be thrown around in trades in the hope of getting a big impact bat at first (which leaves Youk to play third). Either that or Mike Lowell will play when he’s up to it and DH.

Number 3: I expect to see a new pitcher, the pitching staff this year was a major disappointment; for the better part of the season the Sox relied on two “maybe come-backs” which really hurt them down the stretch. Thus a new pitcher may be the answer while you could also argue that the rotation is already set: Beckett, Lester, Dice-K, Buchholz, and Wakefield.

Number 4: Here’s a good one, what starts with an s and ends with hortstop? The shortstop position has been up in the air for way too long, the Sox basically had a invitee as the starter for the first half of the season, how many games has Green thrown away (pun intended)? And Lowrie who was hurt all year, and even when he played he was hurt. I think Gonzalez is the answer, he is above average defensively and gave way more than expected at the plate, if Theo is smart he’ll make a deal.

Number 5: Next on the list is leftfield, Jason Bay has been great for the Sox ever since he came to Boston, after the first week he had me cheering “Manny who?” I think it’s worthwhile to sign him for at least a few more years. The only problem is consistency, while hitting a ton of homeruns in the first half of the season Bay fell into a terrible slump and never fully recovered. Then there’s getting over his potential suitors (like the Yankees).

No comments: