Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Doing (fill in the blank) for Christ

Currently I am reading the letters of Paul, specifically my favorite letter, Philippians. There is so much in Philippians, but one verse that struck me from the beginning was 1: 13, “…I am in chains for Christ”. For some background info, Paul is essentially under arrest for being a Christian, and instead of being sour he demonstrates extreme joy throughout his letter. But the thing that gets me is that he is in chains for Christ, something that is so depressing and sad can become an act of worship! One thing that has been evident about Paul is that he fully dedicates his life to the Gospel, nothing matters more. Despite his beginnings as a Pharisee who publicly killed Christians, Paul had a change of heart and became one of the most active missionaries in the early church. In everything Paul does he tried to do it for the Lord, even being arrested and kept under Roman guard. That (like I wrote earlier) is a great demonstration of faith and example for our lives. How much change would take place if we woke up deciding to live for God and dedicate every moment as an act of worship. How different would I be if I said I am “cooking for Christ”, or “playing baseball for Christ”, or even “studying for Christ”? It would be a HUGE change. It would dramatically change me inside and out, and overall make my life much, much better. While not easy, and it definitely won’t take one day, it is a journey in which God takes us, breaks us, and makes us whole.

No comments: