Friday, January 22, 2010

Giving It All Up or Gaining Everything that Counts?

I just read a very interesting article about a minute ago. I was checking on some baseball news, just seeing if the Sox have made any changes or if there is an insightful comments on the upcoming 2010 season (and by insightful I mean that the Sox will beat the Yankees). Anyway, I saw an article about a top prospect for the Oakland A’s who is quitting baseball to go to seminary to be a priest. Here is a guy who probably had it all in high school and college, drafted to play major league baseball, just beginning what could be a great career, and he goes and gives it all up to be a priest! To trade millions, huge bonuses and the “easy life” to devote his entire life to serving God! WOW! That truly inspires me and makes me think a ton, what am I emphasizing in my own life? I forget the guy’s name but he said to the GM that he loves baseball but he wants to do higher things, wow, what a great perspective. Here is a guy who knows what really matters in life, I’ll admit I am not like that, or at least not nearly enough. I walk around carrying the fact that I was cut twice in a row like it is a problem with me; and here is a guy who had it all and gave it all back because he knew that in the long run what truly mattered. I have to say, I am more jealous of this guy (in a good way) in that he had the strength to trade the riches of the world for the treasure of the Kingdom, than of his skill as a baseball player. It just made me think that there is a lot more to life than playing a simple game, was he giving it all up or gaining everything that truly matters? I'd have to go with the latter.

No comments: