Monday, January 11, 2010

Perfect Love

What is the best, most perfect way to love those around us? Well the short answer is this, we can’t do it on our own, and we may rejoice in the fact that we don’t have to. I was reading 1 John and John writes that “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.” 1 John 4: 12. That is very interesting for a number of reasons, basically it states that in loving others God lives and us, and we in effect love others in a more complete way. Ever felt that the “love tank” is on empty, like you have one of those days where people just seem rude to you all the time. While it is tempting to be rude back we’ve got to step back and think, how does this affect me? I mean, John starts off saying that “no one has seen God”, well duh John of course that’s true (except for a few people), but wait a minute and put it into context; when we act lovingly to others God’s love is made more complete in us and they see God through us WOW! Never thought of it that way, that in every action, every word, every thought I represent God and give people a picture of His love in me. I never see God on a regular day to day basis, but I do know for a fact that I see His “touch” left on the people around me, when I am around people full of light I know that God is near. In contrast when we act badly to others we do a pretty bad job of shining that complete love on those around us. What is the best way to love others? Love them through God so that we may point to Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

T
I love that verse in 1 John, just before it he keeps talking about if you are born or God, or if you know God or if you have seen God that you will not continue to sin. I remember asking what is the answer how do I get there, and then BINGO John gives us the answer, to love to serve others, then we will see God. Very well said on your part we can not love as we are called to, we act like jerks, we get impatient, we get selfish, we confrom to this fallen world,, but God's love is made complete in us.

Amen for that.

Love Dad