Saturday, January 2, 2010

Italian pastry


I will post the traditional New Year’s posts later, but for now I will explore the greatness of Italian baking. I have always loved lobster tails, not the seafood but the pastry often shaped like a lobster tail. It has a flaky shell made of layers of paper thin dough, and has a custardy, creamy filling. Today I made a variation shaped like a clam (another seafood!) filled with a ricotta cheese and semolina based filling. I tasted the filling and it was great and as you can see by the picture they look great too. I wish I could give the recipe but it is very detailed and all the measurements are estimates (due to them all being in ounces) so I can't post it here. The Italian name is La Sfogliatella sounds like swaryadell, in case you want to google it, they originally made in a convent in Italy. Buon Appetito

No comments: