Sunday, March 7, 2010

Our Need for Friends

This post is somewhat out of order of the list of posts I wanted to write but I really wanted to write this now before I forget. I’ve finished reading Genesis and am now reading Exodus and I came across a story that I definitely remember but never gave any thought to. It comes from Exodus Ch. 18, and basically Moses runs into his father-in-law, Jethro, while leading the Israelites into the desert. Well, what does Moses do? He gives Jethro a tour, kind of like saying “See, I’m doing all right” All goes well until Moses serves as a judge and then Jethro says “What is this you are doing to the people?” 18:14, so Moses basically says “What does it look like? I’m serving as judge – somebody has to do it” to which Jethro replies “What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. This work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone” 18:17. Sometimes I can get too used to doing things on my own and not asking for help or seeking the guidance I should. It’s an easy trap to fall into, but the thing is this, God didn’t create us to be a bunch of hermits in the woods, some time or another we need other people around us, people we love and trust to guide us and give us strength when we need it. Jethro did just that for Moses, he knew what it was like to tire out and need a friend so he acted as one to Moses so that Moses wouldn’t fall down while leading the Israelites to the Promised Land. Jethro finishes his speech with “If you do this and God so commands, you will be able to stand the strain…” 18:23. God is always there for us to lift us up, and we should always make sure to surround ourselves with friends, because we can’t and shouldn’t go it alone.

No comments: