Sunday, June 27, 2010

Limit or Liberate?

I recently commented on a comment left by someone that my favorite Psalm is Psalm 119, so I have decided to blog about it as to why. Psalm 119 is very long, it is 176 verses so I cannot write one post about all the parts that I like (I could but then few would read the whole thing) so I will write a few, maybe more, posts about verses that I feel are key to the overall message. Psalm 119 is a picture of faith; it describes a young man’s desire to be a godly person and passion for God’s word. A lot of people see God’s law something that limits our lives, something that takes all the fun away, but in reality it frees us. When we are bound by sin we are trapped but God’s law breaks those chains and allows us to enjoy life to the fullest; ever notice that you feel better after helping someone out or being generous? The Psalmist takes the latter view, in verse 9 he writes “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word.” In verse 11 he writes “I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”. In verse 105 he writes “Your word is a lamp to my feet, a light to my path.” We could all probably lead perfectly okay lives without God’s law, but that’s the thing they would only be “okay” there comes a point when good just isn’t good enough and that is where we need God, that is where we need to read, understand, and live out His word. Life without God is bleak and you can’t have Him without His law, if we want to follow Him and be close to Him, as the psalmist does, we need to follow his law and read His word. Some say God’s law limits our lives, but I say it liberates them and brings us into the light so that we may truly live and enjoy our lives.

No comments: