Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hot Stove

Well it looks like it’s time to heat up the hot stove. I know I made many predictions in the past, which I will have to look over to see how (in)accurate I was, but here is my round of (hopeful) predictions for this off-season. First off is I can guarantee the Sox will be looking for either a first baseman or a third baseman. The easiest option is a first baseman because they have Youkilis to play third and a power hitting first baseman is not hard to find. As to who, possibilities are Adam Dunn, Adam Laroche, or Adrian Gonzalez. Next, I think they’ll go for an outfielder as the idea of Ellsbury, Cameron, and Drew never worked out. Third bullpen help, the Sox bullpen has been the biggest problem for the past two years and it will not go ignored. I think the guys we can expect to stay are Bard, Papelbum, Atchison, Doubront, and some other people I am forgetting. But they will (or should) get a couple middle relief pitchers who are actually good, some possibilities are Scott Downs or Kerry Wood. Last is catching, it doesn’t look like Martinez will stay so “Salty” is most likely the starting catcher with either Varitek or someone else backing up. One part that is omitted is starting pitching and that is because the Red Sox have the best rotation in baseball (while it didn’t look like it in 2010). Lackey had adjustment issues, Beckett was hurt, and Dice-K was well, Dice-K. But imagine a rotation with Buchholz, Lester, a healthy Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K – that can’t be beat. It will be interesting to see how the off-season goes, so far the only move was to keep Ortiz, but there will be more.

No comments: