Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Rapture!?!?

Today’s date is May 25, 2011. I think it is safe to say that the predictions of the rapture on May 21 were wrong. Here’s the thing, why are there so many predictions about the world ending/ the coming of the rapture? Looking in the Bible you would see that predicting the end of the world is the LAST thing you should be doing, mainly because it is a waste of time. First off Jesus says in Matthew 24:23 “At that time if anyone says to you ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it.” Later on in verse 36 Jesus says “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Looking at this what are we to do? It seems every year someone comes along saying the world is going to end, and of course they’ve always been wrong. It seems to me that far too often we focus more on predicting that the world is going to end, instead of preparing for when it does. Let’s say I was banking on the world ending in 2013 (just when the Sox were locked up for the next few years), well if I thought the world would end in two years I wouldn’t really care much about how I lived now, I’d worry about it later. But for all I know I could pass away next week. What’s my point; it’s that when you count on a deadline to “tie up your loose ends” you end up hurting yourself. Instead of focusing on when the world may or may not end, I focus on living every day as if it were my last. I make the most of every opportunity and conversation given to me. I make friends, seek forgiveness, and take risks; all while living a godly life. Instead of focusing on when the end may come I prepare for it so if it comes in my lifetime I will be ready to say “well you gave me this life and I made the most of it.” Jesus told a parable in Matthew 25 where a man went on a trip and gave his servants money to spend, he came back unexpectedly and two of the servants put it to good use, but one didn’t. If even Jesus doesn’t know when the world will end then I want to put my life to good use.

No comments: