Friday, May 20, 2011

Why I Believe

Well for those who thought I was done writing about faith, here’s one more post to add to the numerous already written. I was talking with a few people the other day on the subject of whether or not we believe in Heaven. I chose to listen more than talk, but one interesting phrase came out. One of the people described Heaven as “insurance.” That is, you’re not sure if it exists but you hope it does so you say it does so you’re covered. That made me thinks a lot, why do I believe? Here’s why I didn’t talk in that conversation, for one I needed time to organize my thoughts, and second when I did I found out that (and you’ll hate me for this) I don’t know. Yes, I do not know why I believe, I just do. Following my series of blog posts on faith I find that it was a long journey, partly intellectual, but really it just came up on me. For some reason, whether you buy it or not, I just started believing again. It’s not like I stopped believing completely, I just lost faith. I found myself struggling to comprehend God and the miraculous; realizing that I didn’t know for sure threw me into a panic. Then I had the realization that that’s what faith is: believing in the absence of certainty, and before you claim this is a “cop out” remember that whether or not you believe in God you have faith in your beliefs. Simply put I believe because God has revealed himself to me throughout my life, a process difficult to explain mainly because it is entirely personal. I love to read and love sports, I found God through baseball and various books that “happened” to fall into my lap; any more than that I cannot say. So if I am ever asked why I believe in Heaven this is what I shall say, “I don’t know, I just do and in time perhaps you may too.”

No comments: