Tuesday, October 9, 2012

He is Always There to Hold You Up


            You know, I’ve been a Christian for 7 years and have had this blog for about 4 years and despite all that I still have a long way to go. Over the past 7 years I have experienced the most joyous times of my life, but also moments where I found myself in utter despair. I saw my life saved by a God who loves me, and nearly lost what was dearest to my heart. Despite all that, all the evil the devil wrecked upon my soul, I am still here pounding away on the keys of my laptop to type this post. If that is not a miracle of God I don’t know what is.
            This post is about the storms that we face in our lives. Maybe you are going through a really rough time; perhaps you lost someone you love or are on the verge of losing everything. Or maybe it is something smaller—you are between jobs, got a bad grade on a test that counts for 50% of your grade. Either way, we all go through rough storms in our lives. I’ve been through my fair share of them, and for some reason or another I let them get to me. I let things that happened a while ago cloud my vision, all the while God is reaching out His hand to give me a boost but I can’t see it.
            One of my favorite moments in the Bible (to be honest, this list is close to 100 moments but c’mon it’s a big book) is when Jesus walks on water. There are two versions of the story, but the one I am focusing on can be found in Matthew 15: 22-34. Here Jesus appears to the disciples while they are struggling to sail their boat during a storm. Peter tells Jesus that if it is really He then he wants to be called out onto the water. Jesus tells him to come and Peter jumps out of the boat. Things go pretty well until Peter realizes that he is in the middle of the sea with no visible support. He looks around at the huge swells, swirling winds, and thundering clouds and starts to lose sight of Jesus. I used the word “visible” because often times we forget about God’s invisible support. We get so bogged down in the storms that swell through our own lives that we lose sight of our Creator.
            I don’t know about you but I want to stop being like Peter in that situation. No more letting the wind and waves get to me, and block me from meeting my Lord. Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone and go through a storm to meet God. Sure things aren’t easy for you, things are rarely easy for anyone but is it really worth missing out on a relationship with God? Peter let his doubts prevent him from meeting Jesus out on the water. Don’t let your doubts block your sight of God—it may seem like nothing is holding you up but know that your faith is and that God will always be there to give you strength.

No comments: