Friday, October 26, 2012

Hold On To What You Believe


In light of my recent revelation the other day I thought of a quote by C.S. Lewis. Any longtime readers will know that I am a great admirer of Lewis’ work over his career—in fact it is C.S. Lewis who is my main inspiration to become a writer. Anyway, I was meditating on a quote from Mere Christianity in which he writes that “faith is the art of holding on to things our reason once accepted despite our changing moods.” I always liked that quote, yet never found it applicable until recently. Throughout my recent struggles I never once stopped believing. I held on to my faith in God despite what was going on around me. As I ventured further down the path though I began to lose faith, I still believed but I did not act on it as much as I should have. I let anger, resentment, frustration, and confusion cloud my mind. I thank God that He pulled me from the depths when he did or I might have lost faith completely. The Christian life is not meant to be a walk in a park full of roses. It is gritty, dirty, messy, and completely rewarding. Over the past 7 years you could make a case that there has been more bad than before I became a Christian (of course, this 7 year journey began when I was 12 so that argument loses some credibility) however, I have been happier, stronger, and infinitely more joyful. The devil may throw what he can at me, but we have God on our side. The past week has been an awakening of sorts. I’ve realized the decrease in my faith, and am glad for it. I have written it many times: we do not like to look in mirrors. We need to though, and that is what God is showing me. Don’t lose hope friends, God is there for us always. Remember what you once held dear, because those feelings were true. Though dark times may cloud our vision of the future, we cannot forget what once held as truth. 

No comments: