Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sorry

I feel that I must write an apology for the earlier posts, I think I was too harsh in my criticisms on our Christmas symbols so now I’ll try to make the point I was trying to get across clear because I have a feeling it was misunderstood. I am not trying to ruin anyone’s Christmas, I was just trying to analyze the symbols in our culture and find out what their relation to the Biblical account was. There is absolutely nothing wrong with caroling, or Christmas trees, or Santa Claus. I don’t think it’s wrong to have those thing s in our culture, I never did and don’t think I ever will. All my life I’ve had a Christmas tree in my house and I don’t think I’ll stop. The point I tried to get across was although these things in themselves were good they don’t exactly relate to the Biblical account of Jesus’ birth. I don’t think Jesus woke up to hear a fire crackling, or went caroling or received His gifts under a tree. Actually Mary and Joseph were forced to flee to Egypt because Herod was killing all the baby boys. The symbols we have are like strings we tie to our fingers to remember something, they themselves are not what we are to remember but they act as a reminder, or a stand in. The symbolism around Christmas has religious meaning, Christmas trees are supposed to represent the fact that God lives forever and that we in Heaven will live forever, but the Christmas tree is like the string, it reminds us of our savior but it isn’t the main focus. The commercialization of Christmas is a bad thing, if all we do is focus on the strings we’ll forget what we are to remember, but the opposite is just as bad if all we do is focus on what we are to remember we won’t live our lives. I’ll advise anyone this Christmas to have fun and enjoy the break from work and school, but don’t forget our savior, and also even though we receive nice gifts we shouldn’t forget the greatest gift of all, our savior Jesus.

No comments: