Friday, October 23, 2009

Clarification

I was talking with my dad and I feel I need to clarify my last post. My dad raised a good objection to what I wrote. He said “Tay Tay, the greatest people I know are those who are close to God and know Him, also what about witnessing, the disciples knew Jesus was God and they didn’t sit around doing nothing. Also if you knew for sure God existed wouldn’t you devote your life to telling people?” That is true, if Marty looked around and saw Sox fans despairing then he would certainly tell people, just like if I knew the Cubs would win next year I would tell people (sorry I couldn’t help it). My point though is that the Sox series in 2004 is a picture of faith and the way God works. First off, after 86 years and down 3-0 it didn’t look good, it looked like number 87 until the game turned around. To say the Sox would win would have been illogical but also hopeful. It is that hope that I see as a picture of faith. I used to want God to perform a miracle, to do something. After I got the call from my boss to catch at Fenway I thought I was dreaming and actually checked the website to confirm there was a “Fenway Fantasy Day”. Sounds silly but it’s true. Imagine if God preformed a miracle for me, could I not go and say ‘Oh silly me I must have been dreaming, oh no wait I ate chicken for lunch and I know what that does to me” (chicken actually does nothing to me). I guess my main point is this, if there were a “God proof” meaning I could say A=B, B=C, A=C, and that was it then where would there be the hope, the credibility? It means nothing for me to say I believe the sun rose today, it takes faith to say I believe it will rise tomorrow. My last point, knowledge is a lot different than faith, the disciples saw Jesus, the Pharisees saw Jesus, they both saw the same guy do the same things but the disciples (while backed up with knowledge) put their faith in Jesus, the Pharisees (while backed with the same exact knowledge) refused to put their faith in Jesus. While facts and formulas and certainty are good, when a new believer comes to faith it really boils down to the power of God in his life, and his own decision to believe.

No comments: