Saturday, October 3, 2009

Only a Picture

I was helping out in a church near my house last night, I’ve wanted to serve more and so I looked around and found a youth group that I can help lead so I feel very blessed by finding this church. Anyway we were going to watch the movie Radio but only two kids showed up so we watched a short video. It was a short video, about 12 minutes long but it really struck me. The subject was getting to know God and one question the guy asked was “what does God look like?” So we went around in the group talking about what God looks like and when it was my turn I didn’t know. When my faith struggle started I found myself trying to “imagine God” meaning think more about his physical features than Him. The danger in this is we can lean on this picture as truth and then fall away from God. Think of it this way, imagine I paint a picture of a sunset and then someone comes up to me and says “That is the sunset!” Of course it’s not, it is only a picture; it is only a vague idea of the true experience of seeing a sunset. When I was thinking about God in the physical sense I completely missed out on who He really is. The best idea we get is what God told Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to tell the Israelites: I AM has sent you” Exodus 3:14. I now feel that there are only two pictures of God given to us, one is Jesus and then there are those who are close to God and shine His love onto others.

No comments: