Thursday, June 14, 2012

No Pinch Hitters in Heaven


I was just about to go to bed, but I figured that if I didn’t write this post now (like always) I’d end up writing it in two weeks when it becomes irrelevant. Last night I had a game. I’m coming off of a couple injuries and hope to recover and play club baseball this fall, so I’m playing in a summer league to get into a rhythm. So far I’m 0-2. I struck out on 3 pitches in my first at bat, and worked the pitcher for 6 pitches before grounding out to 2nd in my second at bat (not too bad for my second at-bat in over a year). In last night’s game I took my best round of BP in a while and felt good. I was going to get a hit, I could see it in my mind’s eye. I took a few vicious cuts in the on deck circle and studied the pitcher like I used to when I was doing well. The batter ahead of me hit a 2-out double and I stepped towards the plate. Then my coach stopped me, and put someone else to pinch-hit for me. That would have been my only at bat. I try not to take sports (or any hobby) too seriously. God is my consuming passion and I plan to keep it that way. But I was still devastated and retreated to the dugout. Why do I share this humiliating story? Because my verse this week is 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful, He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear.” You see, when it comes to God there are no pinch hitters. Last night my coach showed a (somewhat justified) lack of faith in my abilities. I am 0-2 on the season and was unimpressive last year as well. When it comes to God though, my track record is far worse. I have an 18 year history of sin, going against God and choosing the easy or wrong way out time, and time again. But He still believes in me. God still roots for us up in Heaven and He knows we can win the battle against Satan. He knows we can get a hit for Him. God isn’t up there saying “Whoa Tay Tay, you can’t handle this. Sorry, we’re bringing someone in for you.” No, the verse makes it clear, God knows we can handle what comes out way, He believes in us, we are His star hitter and He wants us at bat. My coach may not have faith in me, but who cares? God willing I’ll be healthy enough to play baseball well into my old age, but more importantly I’m playing for His team, and He needs me at bat right now, this is my spot, no one else will do. 

No comments: