Tuesday, November 22, 2011

True, Untrue, or Half True

I was talking with a couple people the other day on the question as to how truthful the Bible is. They claimed that parts of the Bible are outdated, and that parts of it are true but not everything. While they agreed that the entire Bible is not true, they claimed other parts are and that it is still the word of God. My question is this, how truthful is a half-truth? “Tay Tay why is your paper not handed in on time?” “Uh, I’ve been busy with other stuff and could really use an extension.” What really happened: I forgot about the paper and chose to go into Boston one day of the weekend, and watch the Bourne trilogy the next day. Sure I did tell the half-truth, but ultimately the half-truth is a lie. So what is my point? That if something is not completely true then it is a lie. Even if we wanted to say that only part of the Bible is true, which parts? Should we take surgical instruments to it and expertly cut out all that “silly” stuff on miracles? My claim is this, if we aren’t to take on the Bible as 100% true we can’t take it on at all. You get into a sticky situation when you try to discern what is true and what isn’t. That’s faith though isn’t it? Believing in the absence of belief. Yes many parts of the Bible are fantastic, but is not God all-powerful, how hard could it be for Him to preform a few miracles here and there. It’s not easy, sometimes I find myself scratching my head thinking ‘Did this really happen?’ That is what faith is for though, that is what faith is all about. Do I have all the answers? Heck no, I’m only an 18 year old college student who hasn’t a clue where he is going in life, but you know what, no one but God will ever have the answers; it’s up to Him to reveal them to us.

No comments: