Sunday, November 6, 2011

We Need to Carry our Cross

Ever do what you know is the right thing, but then question whether it was right to do it? Sure, we all have, and recently I went through a very taxing ordeal. Recently I lost a friend, maybe for a short while, maybe forever, and all I did to lose her was do what I know in my heart is what God wants me to do. I ended up losing something close to me, I ended up sacrificing a friendship for God, and it left me questioning myself, I asked ‘was it right what I did, or is it possible that I was in the wrong?’ I’ll spare you the details as they are unimportant to my post, but as always I will share some scripture. I was reading Matthew 16 (I’ve been a little lax in my readings) and came across verse 25-26 “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?” Yesterday I lost my life for the sake of God’s good work here on earth. I gave up a little piece of my plans, my desires, my wishes, and put them aside for what God told me to do. It cost me a lot, I won’t sugarcoat it and say that I feel good right now, actually I feel pretty bad. I don’t feel like I did something wrong though, I know that I carried my cross. For once I put God first in my life, for once I did something that was truly selfless. I lost a friend for God, it sounds odd to say but really, that is exactly what happened. Now, it may be hard, it may sting a little, but the reward is always great. God’s good is infinitely sweeter than the goodness here on earth. It’s tough to fully trust in Him, but once you get over that hump the burden is lifted.

No comments: