Monday, December 13, 2010

More than a Rumor

I just finished Philip Yancey’s book Rumors of Another World and said I would post about it so here are my impressions. I’ve written a lot about faith and what it means, but Yancey takes another take which I fee I do not address enough. Yancey says that our whole world is filled with these hints of another world, that by taking a close look we can see God’s fingerprints around us. We can see these rumors in science, art, and also in each other. I do believe there are rumors of another world in our own, I believe that God created a world that speaks of His glory, love, and wildness. Just take a look around you, look at the night sky and count the stars, a small puppy, or the woods during the winter time. God speaks to us through His creation, which includes us as people. There’s something about Christmas that changes us for the better, aside from the traditional clichés of Christmas being the spirit of giving, I think there’s something more. I think that the pure miracle of it all, and that God spoke through the silence to us, changing the world from then on. At the time Isaiah was written things were going pretty badly in Israel, I was shocked to find that Israel and Judah (once one nation) fought each other out of desperation and anger. Yet God promises to His and all people, He even says “Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance” Isaiah 19:25, that things will get better and there will be peace. Christmas is a time of giving and family, but it is also much more than that it is a time of anticipation for God’s intervention in our lives and a time of grace, that God loves us so much to come down to earth and keep His promise. There is much more than a rumor of God’s work in our world, I’d go as far to say that there is neon sign.

No comments: