Thursday, September 29, 2011

Did I Read That Right?

While I may be feeling physically ill, mentally I have not missed a beat. So here I am exhausted and writing yet another post on the blog. Usually I enjoy reading Peter Abraham’s blog “Extra Bases” on Boston.com. I actually emulate him a little taking notes on how he incorporates humor into his writing. However, today I found a reason to be very upset with him. Today Abraham wrote a post about Gonzalez and Crawford, the main theme being that because Gonzo claimed that it was not God’s plan for the Sox to win the World Series, he isn’t taking responsibility. Crawford on the other hand said over and over again how sorry he was, and therefore was taking responsibility. For some reason Abraham took something Gonzo said out of context so he’d have something to write. When I hit a roadblock, when I lose a friend, when my dog passes away, when I can’t seem to find my way, it all has to go back to God. Not that God is causing these bad things to happen to me, but He allows them to happen and uses them for His glory. I don’t think God cares much about whether the Sox win or lose, but I think He cares very much that Adrian Gonzalez can use that loss for His glory. Bad things happen, very often they are much worse than the Sox not going to the playoffs, but isn’t the best way to deal with suffering or misfortune to say “I am going to look for God in this and turn it around for Him.” Gonzo wasn’t avoiding responsibility; he was using the loss as a way to profess his faith. He’s not going to cry, spit, swear, or throw the water cooler, instead he’s going to calmly admit that it was not their time, that they have many years to win the World Series in the future and for now, there is nothing that can be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tyler

Very well said, I was watching NESN last night and I heard them mock Gonzo because he made a comment about God's plan. Too bad these guys just don't get it. God gives us free will but I believe he will back away and let us suffer the consequences of our choices Romans 1:21-25. It wasn’t God’s plan nor did he cause, Beckett to get lazy about his conditioning and not have enough to finish strong, or a group of pitchers to disrespect the manager and the team and drink in the club house during games or players to get so full of pride that they forget to be diligent about the fundamentals of the game and make stupid errors, but I agree that everyone on that team can take this disappointment and ask God to show them what they need to learn from this and how they can take what is broken and use it for his glory. Also,, Good for Gonzo,, for following the first commandment and not letting anything come before God in his life.

Love Dad